Sunday, September 18, 2011

The time has come.

After fifty days of being in country, we finally have internet. Thank goodness. I took Friday morning off to wait for the internet man to arrive, sometime between 9-12. He arrived around 11, located the phone box, explained what I'm sure was something very important (all in Japanese), repeated something about having a router, and left. I assumed the deed was done, except for the fact that when I tried out the internet, it didn't connect. I texted Corin that I hoped it would work when he got home and left for work. At 5 in the evening, we not only had a big box from Colorado waiting for us (thanks Amy and Jim!) but a note from a delivery company saying they'd missed us and would return, if they could, before six that evening. We had no idea what they were delivering but since the internet still wasn't working, hoped it had to do with a magic box that could connect us to the world.

Mmmm...brat in a baguette.
We waited around until 6:30 and then headed over to our friend Corey's house for some football: Raiders vs. Broncos. Although the game is played on a Monday night in the US, we're all at work on Tuesday and can't watch it in real time. Thus, we watch on Friday nights with the aid of bratwurst in baguettes and croissants and Boulder Kettle BBQ chips sent from loving mothers, plus a generous helping of 'the good stuff.' After the game we headed over to Veiled Cafe, a small bar run by a mother and son team. Corey has lived across the street from Veiled for quite a while, is a frequent visitor and was very warmly welcomed. Tetsu is the son part of the team and was rocking out in the particle board lined concert hall attached to the bar. As soon as we entered the room, Tetsu changed quite a few lines in each song to include Corey's name.
Particle board grunge.
Tetsu, the man himself.

We jumped around and used a tambourine to join in the revelry, then ended up playing a terrible game of darts with some of the regulars back in the bar. Even though we still lacked internet, I'd call it a successful way to start the weekend. After showing the notice to some Japanese English speakers, we discovered we had been informed to remain at home until 5 pm on Saturday and they would try to deliver again. So we waited, all day. Thanks to some serious rain, it wasn't too hard to want to stay inside and do nothing. At 4 pm, a nice delivery man dropped off the magic box and after dinner and grocery shopping, we ended the evening watching four episodes of Entourage on the real, live internet. I'd like to say the settling in period is finally over with, at least bills/basic needs wise.

I may also be lying to myself but don't tell me I said that.

Origami coffee, yumm!
Thanks to Respect for the Aged Day tomorrow and National Sport's Day next Friday, we'll be enjoying two three day weekends in a row. Some nice weather would be ideal for all this time off but alas, it has rained nonstop for the past two days. At least it makes for a good excuse to stay in and do close to nothing. I'm still nursing what seems to be the mystery injury of the year so anything that keeps me from pushing it too much is a good thing. No swelling, no bruising, no pain when walking or wiggling my ankle but once movement stops, or I start to run, it throbs like my bone is breaking in two. Might get up the guts to brave a hospital tomorrow and get it looked at by a professional.

Tonight has been spent trying to decide what the plan is for tomorrow. I vote another day like today, and yesterday. Listen to the rain, sip some Starbucks Origami Self Drip coffee, eat chips and guacamole for dinner and enjoy the nothingness. We're headed to Sapporo next weekend and I need to conserve my energy.


No comments:

Post a Comment